Saturday, May 31, 2008

Comments of the Week

This week, it’s kale recipes, coupon clipping, vegetarian beefs, and remembrances of Presidents of the United States of America gone by. Oh, and if you have the time, check out all the great responses to What Would You Do: Restaurant Gives Meat to a Vegetarian. The consensus: I should have spoken to a manager, yo.

On Millions of Grilled Peaches (Grilled Peaches for Me)

molly b: Can't believe someone else actually remembers that song. We had a hamster once that we named Peaches... because we got her for free. :-)

Monica: I loved that song! So much I bought the whole CD. Oh the crapola we listened to in order to get one great song. Thank you so much iTunes!

On
Eating Healthy While Clipping Coupons: The Dos and Don’ts

Pam: I started clipping coupons a couple of months ago and was amazed at how many of them are for personal care items. Since I'm not brand loyal for these kinds of things, I've saved a lot of money using coupons. It's freed up more of my grocery budget for the organic dairy I've been wanting to purchase but couldn't.

Di Hickman: Also for those looking for healthier coupons, try Mambosprouts.com they have some health food coupons, but then you gotta search the supermarkets to find the items! (though whole foods does take coupons)

Chocoholic: Another thing on the websites, especially organic companies, sign up for their emails! I routinely get emails from Horizon, Organic Valley, etc. that have coupons in them. Make sure to check out the register coupons some places print. I've bought Amy's pizzas and gotten Kashi pizza coupons and vice versa.

On Kale and Hearty: White Bean and Kale Soup with Turkey Sausage

c.r.a.: Now that you have discovered kale, may I suggest my favorite kale recipe, Pasta with Kale and Fontina? It is so good. I only use half of the pasta called for to make it more about the veggie goodness (and as a result, you can scale back the chicken broth a little) and gouda cheese is, I think, even better than the fontina. It also makes rocking leftovers.

Leigh: Kale is my favorite leafy green. When in doubt, just sautee with garlic and mmm! Enjoy your new, healthy relationship.

Anonymous: As for other greens, can I suggest Swiss Chard? I make a one dish meal (sounds better than casserole ?) with Canadian bacon, Swiss chard, potatoes and Gruyere ( or regular Swiss) cheese that is very good. Recipe is here.

On Veggie Might: That’s What I Was Going to Say

Jen@BigBinder: When I go to a restaurant, I want someone who can do something snazzy with vegetables so I usually order a vegetarian dish. I think there is a greater potential for interesting and beautiful and tasty dishes I can't make at home.

CraftyKate: I can only speak for myself of course, but as a long time veggie who lives with a meat eating boyfriend it makes me uncomfortable when a meat eating family make too big of a deal about me being veggie. … I really don't want to be a burden, and while it's incredibly sweet she's willing to go out of her way to make me welcome in her home, I always feel like a finicky pain when she buys me my own meal. I'm happy with the non meat portions of the meal!

Michelle: I know food choices can be hard, but I think vegan shoes have really come along way! One of my favorite vegan shoe sites is: http://www.vegetarianshoesandbags.com/. They also just added a children's line as well! doesn't get any easier than this!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Post