Thursday, May 22, 2008

CHG Favorites of the Week: The Cake Edition

Food Blog of the Week
Allergic Girl
Tree nuts, salmon, eggplant, melon, tropical fruits, and lemongrass are just a few of the banes of Allergic Girl’s existence. For three years, she’s “maintained a wheat/gluten-free, processed sugar-free, lactose-free, soy-free, low processed food-free lifestyle.” These are her stories. (And also her motherlode of food allergy resources, which could be super-helpful to anyone out there with similar issues.)

Food Book of the Week
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Ooooo, this is bleak. Bleakbleakbleak. Like, why-do-I-bother-eating-this-orange-we-all-eventually-die-anyway bleak. Yet! Every time the main characters find food, it sounds like an unparalleled feast. It’s the only novel I can recall where canned pears sound better than ten birthday cakes. Read it and savor. (And weep, too. Trust me, there will be a lot of that).

Food Comedy of the Week
Jim Gaffigan on cake
First, it was bacon. Then, Hot Pockets. Now, it’s sweet, wonderful cake. I think Jim Gaffigan likes food. (And thank goodness.)



Food Organization of the Week
Bake Me a Wish
Speaking of cake, the Boston Globe recently ran this article about Bake Me a Wish, a New York-based baking business that ships the sugary confections to and from U.S. troops overseas. While not a philanthropy per se, you can make donations. So log on! Your favorite airman/seaman/marine/etc. will thank you for it.

Food Quote of the Week
Bill Cosby, on his wife catching him feeding the kids chocolate cake for breakfast: “I've always heard about people having a conniption but I've never seen one. You don't want to see 'em. My wife's face split. My wife's face split and the skin and hair split and came off of her face so that there was nothing except a skull. And orange lights came out of her hair and there was glitter all around. And fire shot from her eye sockets and began to burn my stomach and she said, ‘WHERE DID THEY GET CHOCOLATE CAKE FROM?’ And I said, ‘They asked for it!’ And the children who had been singing praises to me... LIED on me and said, ‘Uh-uh! We asked for eggs and milk... AND DAD MADE US EAT THIS!’ And my wife sent me to my room... which is where I wanted to go in the first place.”

Food Tip of the Week
This one comes straight from The Boyfriend’s mom: to clean your dish sponge, wet it and nuke it in the microwave for a minute. It should kill all the lurking germs. Be VERY careful with removal, though, and make absolutely sure the sponge is damp. Otherwise, disaster.

Untried Cheap, Healthy Recipe of the Week
Chicken and Mango Skewers at Sunday Dish
Food on a stick! And it’s every color of the rainbow!

Food Video of the Week
“Short Skirt/Long Jacket” by Cake
While we’re on this whole cake thing…

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Post