Friday, June 26, 2009

Kale with Garlic and Peppers: A Tribute

Today was going to be about the general awesomeness of kale – how it’s super-easy to prepare, lends crazy heft to lighter dishes, and is one of the cheapest, most natural foods you can pick up at the supermarket. As part of that, I was going to gush all over the innate incredible-ness of Cooking Light’s Kale with Garlic and Peppers. Mostly about how it’s one of the simpler, tastier sides I’ve whipped up in recent memory. Then I was going to babble about the profusion of kale dishes available here and at the eminently stellar I Heart Kale.

After it was all done, I was going to stop writing. Soon enough, I would to dump my leftover Kale with Garlic and Peppers into some cold spaghetti. Then I was going to warm it up in the microwave with a tiny bit of salt, and espouse for hours about hearty/healthy/goody aspects of eating it in the office (which I’m sure my new, temporary co-workers would love).

Finally, I was going to make a lot of kale puns. Like that this dish was kale and hearty and that criticizing it would be beyond the kale. I’d watch my favorite movie, Kale Rider, or maybe even An American Kale, and then read A Kale of Two Cities, but only when I finished my kalegate party.

But then Michael Jackson died.

So instead, I’ll leave y’all with one of the best things he’s ever done.



P.S. Nutritional numbers come from Cooking Light, so only the price is calculated down below.

Kale with Garlic and Peppers
4 servings (serving size: 1 cup kale mixture)
Adapted from Cooking Light.

2 teaspoons olive oil
2 cups sliced red bell pepper (about 2 medium or 1 large )
1 tablespoon chopped seeded jalapeño pepper (about 1 small)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
14 cups chopped kale, stems removed (about 1 pound)
1/2 cup organic vegetable broth (or low-fat chicken broth)
1 garlic clove, minced
Lemon wedges (optional)

In a large pot or small Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper, jalapeno, salt, and black pepper. Cook until tender, about 3 or 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add kale and broth. Cover. Drop heat to medium-low and simmer until the kale wilts, around 10 minutes. (Only stir it once.) Uncover. Add garlic. Stir. Jack heat up to medium. Cook about 2 more minutes, or until all the liquid is gone. Serve.

Approximate Calories, Fat, and Price Per Serving
157 calories, 4.1 g fat, 40.63

Calculations
2 teaspoons olive oil: $0.17
2 cups sliced red bell pepper (about 2 medium or 1 large): $0.96
1 tablespoon chopped seeded jalapeño pepper (about 1 small): $0.14
1/4 teaspoon salt: $0.01
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper: $0.01
14 cups chopped kale, stems removed (about 1 pound): $0.79
1/2 cup organic vegetable broth (or low-fat chicken broth): $0.22
1 garlic clove, minced: $0.05
Lemon wedges (optional): $0.16
TOTAL: $2.51
PER SERVING (TOTAL/4): $0.63

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Post