Thursday, May 15, 2008

CHG Favorites of the Week

Food Blog of the Week
Squawkfox
Sassy, clever, and quite enlightening, Fox puts the “fine” back in “personal finance.” Her meal posts are particularly good, and I’ll be adding Top Five Frugalicious Lunches to yesterday’s brown bag list as soon as I stop procrastinating.

Food Comedy of the Week
"Sandwich Day" from 30 Rock
The whole episode is hilarious (it’s linked), but in Act 3, Tina Fey downs a sub in 20 seconds flat, making her my eternal hero. Here’s the clip (thanks to Serious Eats), in all its dipping sauce and glory.

Food Organization of the Week
Your Family Table
Country Crock (of breakfast spread fame) and Amy Grant (of “Baby, Baby” and good hair fame) are in cahoots with America’s Second Harvest, trying to get food to folks who need it. To join them, sign up at Your Family Table, reveal a healthy change you and/or your kin have made recently, and watch as a whole meal is donated to broods in need. Definitely worth a click.

Food Quote of the Week
Cliff: Hey Carla, I have a potato that looks like Richard Milhouse Nixon.
Carla: Big deal. Show me one that doesn't.
-Cheers

Food Tip of the Week
This could be another semi-patented “Duh, Kris” tip, but for all you with a Brita water filter pitcher: don’t forget to wash it. I’m totally serious. You might think that something that only carries water could never get dirty. But after a few long weeks of refills, the bottom of that thing looks like a horribly neglected fishbowl. (Don’t ask me how I know.) Filtering impurities won’t do you much good if you’re compensating with a tall glass of mold.

Untried Cheap, Healthy Recipe of the Week
Blueberry Honey Sweet Tea at Visions of Sugar Plum
Oh MY. We’re still a few months from blueberry season here in the Northeast, but looking at this made me instantly thirsty. Plus, now I think we can add “Blue food is always awesome” to our Mealtime Maxims, to go along with “Cheese makes everything better,” and “All food on a stick is delicious.”

Food Video of the Week
“Buffalo Stance” by Neneh Cherry
Man, I haven’t seen this thing since 7th grade. Neneh was the coolest (beyond Lisa Stansfield and Taylor Dayne, maybe), and I just wished I could have pulled off those door knocker earrings, too. (Let me tell you: they would have looked AWESOME on a gawky white girl from Long Island.)



Totally Unrelated Extra Special Bonus of the Week
Funny chickens are funny.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Post